The evaluation of satellite imagery over time can be used to identify trends and changes in an area. This type of time series analysis can be used to assess forest disturbance, land cover changes, vegetation health, and agricultural monitoring and expansion. NASA Earth observations can provide long-term records from Landsat and frequent imagery from sensors including MODIS. This training will focus on two tools, AppEEARS from the LPDAAC, and LandTrendr via Google Earth Engine (GEE). AppEEARS enables users to integrate point or polygon ground-based data with satellite imagery. The GEE implementation of LandTrendr enables users to analyze land cover dynamics, including short-term disturbances and long-term trends. Both sessions will feature a lecture followed by time for hands-on exercises and questions.
By the end of this training, attendees will:
- Become familiar with time series analysis techniques
- Understand how to evaluate time series of MODIS & Landsat data
- Learn how to integrate point data with satellite imagery using the AppEEARS web-based interface
- Learn the basics of the GEE implementation of LandTrendr including:
- Generating annual land surface reflectance images
- Plotting a time series of land surface reflectance
- Creating a map of change detection, magnitude of change, duration of change event, and pre-change spectral values
Advanced users of remote sensing data within local, regional, state, federal, and non-governmental organizations involved in land management and conservation efforts.
- Two 2-hour sessions
This session will include a review of MODIS and Landsat, a review of change detection, an overview of time series analysis methods, and an AppEEARS hands-on exercise.
Materiales en Español:
This session will include a review of LandTrendr’s capabilities, an overview of how to interpret outputs from LandTrendr, and a hands-on LandTrendr exercise.
Materiales en Español:
Attendees that do not complete prerequisites may not be adequately prepared for the pace of the course.
- Sessions 1 and 2A of Fundamentals of Remote Sensing
- Complete the Advanced Webinar: Change Detection for Land Cover Mapping
- Install Google Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/
- For the Google Earth Engine exercise, Chrome should be used to make sure all features work
- Sign up for the Google Earth Engine Code Editor: https://signup.earthengine.google.com/