February 10, 2016 - March 02, 2016
In this advanced webinar, participants will learn how to acquire, use, and derive NDVI imagery from Landsat and MODIS. Weekly webinars will include lectures, hands-on demonstrations of exercises, and written instructions on how to conduct the exercises. The exercises will use QGIS, a cross-platform open source GIS application. Each session will guide participants through the exercises, however to achieve the course learning objectives, participants should expect to spend additional time outside the webinars. There will be homework to complete after each exercise, which is required to be eligible for a completion certificate.
Learn how to create NDVI imagery, time series, and anomaly maps using NASA data including:
- A basic understanding of NDVI
- Acquiring Landsat and MODIS imagery
- Creating NDVI images from Landsat
- Using MODIS NDVI images to derive time series and NDVI anomaly maps
Local, regional, state, federal, and international organizations interested in assessing vegetation condition using satellite imagery. Professional organizations in the public and private sectors engaged in environmental management and monitoring will be given preference over organizations focused primarily on research.
- Four, one-hour sessions
- Advanced Webinar
- Each week features a presentation, exercises and a homework assignment
An overview of MODIS NDVI, a demonstration of the MODIS/NDVI Time Series Database from the Global Agriculture Monitoring (GLAM) Project, acquiring MODIS NDVI images, and how to create a time series from MODIS NDVI. View the Recording
- Complete sessions one and two of the on-demand Fundamentals of Remote Sensing webinars (or equivalent experience).
- Download and install QGIS and all accompanying software. This advanced webinar will use QGIS software, and although previous experience with this software is not required, some experience with geospatial software will be helpful. Before starting the first session, open QGIS and ensure the software is working properly. Additional download and installation instructions