Cyclone Idai made landfall on the coast of Mozambique late Thursday night, bringing torrential rains, high winds, and storm surge to the area. Officials report that over 215 people have been killed so far by the effects of this storm, but the expected death toll is over 1,000. Flooding and storm damage have isolated many cities and villages, making it difficult for responders to reach the impacted areas and fully understand the impacts of the storm.
Data Links and Other Resources
- LANCE NRT MODIS and VIIRS true color image of Cyclone Idai:
- MODIS NRT Global Flood Mapping product over the impacted area of Cyclone Idai:
- LANCE NRT AMSR2 image of Cyclone Idai:
- "Glimpse of the extent of the flooding in Mozambique" with LANCE NRT VIIRS false color composite images consisted of bands M11, I2 and I1: https://go.nasa.gov/2WmRBsd
- DFO Flood Event for Cyclone Idai: http://floodobservatory.colorado.edu/Events/4725/2019Malawi4725.html